Sunday 10 February 2008

Sunday 10th February 08

A really lovely day! Not an early start, which was good, then a session in the garden until 11 when I came in and half-watched Countryfile whilst doing washing up and other housework.

After lunch I went to Martin's veg emporium with 5 carrier bags of freshly riddled compost and 5 bags of freshly riddled seed growing medium... a mix of leafmold, loam and a little compost. I picked up a load of bananas and a sack of leek leaves and other compostables which I took to the allotment. There were a couple of lottie-holders working on their plot and clearing brambles etc, and putting them on a small smoky fire... which was blowing gently over my plot, so I couldn't work on it. I said something very polite to them about the materials being compostable and the carbon not needing to go into the air, and their response was that they got the allotment so they could do what they wanted to do, and they wanted to have a bonfire. I didn't get more involved, but I wanted to tell them that their 'doing what they wanted to do' prevented me from doing what I wanted to do. And it is unneccessary and polluting and a waste of resources, and the lottie rules say that if you have a bonfire you should have a non-smoky one which doesn't impact on other lottie users. I will write to the lottie officer with a complaint.

On the way back up the hill, I met Peter 'Earthquake Cove' and he was having a picnic with two Norwegian girls who are studying at St John's for the term. They were having Norwegian pancakes, and I had a quarter and a short chat before getting back to my family.

I then took the boys to the park for more frisbee and logging. We spent over an hour there, and had interaction with some young teenaged lads, who were happy to help chop down some of the fallen tree.

Home to a well-organised Gilly who'd made a quiche with home-grown broccoli.

Did my paid blog in the evening on Valentine's Day and consumption.

No comments: