Sunday 20 February 2011

Saturday 19th February 11

I forgot to list some extra things I got last night... a packet of 5 onion bagels, 2 croissants and a cluster of buna-shimeji mushrooms in a packet.

I got started fairly early, so I could attend the York in Transition event at St. Nicks, a Seed Swap and Garden Share talk from Edible York.  It was snowing and quite windy, so I didn't expect to see too many people there, but there were maybe 20 attended, and lots of packets of seeds swapped, and plenty of home-harvested ones too.

Chloe gave her presentation on a project that Edible York wants to get started. Peter introduced her with a short introduction about York in Transition, which is where Edible York grew from, and John Brierley did a 30 second intro to St Nicks, and then it was over to Chloe who had a powerpoint slideshow.  She explained about what Edible York had done so far, which is the demonstration bed (or 'Propaganda bed'!) near the Barbican, and Abundance, which has mapped lots of fruit trees and last autumn, distributed loads of unwanted fruit to people who wanted it.  There are several other related projects in York, including Edible Schools, the proposed Edible Libraries, and a scheme where the Council will grant a resident a licence for just £1 to use a patch of Council land to grow things on.  There are several partner projects, including Garden Able, Fulford Community Orchard and YUMI York.

The next stage of Edible York is to open several more public beds... one opposite the Black Swan on Peaseholm Green, one in the Scarcroft area, two next to libraries and possibly one near the Minster.  And then the main purpose of today's presentation, how to go forward with a garden sharing scheme.  Apparently there used to be something similar in the 60s or 70s, but nothing exists now.  Successful Garden Share schemes have been set up through Transition Towns in Totnes, Cambridge, Tunbridge Wells, Brighton and Hove, and closer to home, Beverley.  There's a national Landshare website, set up by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, but the success of a local project lies in a 'personal touch'; having a co-ordinator, so that person might be based at St Nicks.  I was very inspired by this talk and joined Landshare, and got quite busy on it!

I came home for lunch and had the two rescued cheese sandwiches.  Not sure where the rest of the day went.  I had a lie down and finished a NewScientist, and dozed for an hour.  In the evening I set up a Green and Eco Friendly Funerals group on the Union-Funeral website.  I spent ages reading about Landshare, and set up a York group.  I hope this doesn't annoy my friends in Edible York. It can be removed if I've done the wrong thing....

I ate a huge meal of 100% freegan food and felt full all evening.  Gill beat me at Scrabble by 5 points.

No comments: