Sunday 12 April 2009

Sunday 12th April 09

A very lazy morning reading NewScientist and a good book Ali lent me, keeping out of the way of all the children who were running around like maniacs... nothing to do with chocolate overdosing of course?

Helped Linda in the garden, digging up a dying Rosemary bush and replacing it with a lovely-looking small tree or shrub which I could not identify. The children were persuaded to go on a slug and snail hunt. These were put in a bucket with something to hide under, ready for relocation.

Gill was having a migraine, poor thing, so stayed in bed all day, and Linda looked after her when the rest of us went out for a walk with Sophie, Dankie and all the children. We drove, in two cars, to Mousehold Heath, an area of woodland and heathland which has seen lots of gravel extraction, and therefore has lots of hillocks and dips, great to run around, and we found a rope swing and had fun on that. Other members of the group started making a den with sticks and branches, and after energetic rope-swing activity, everybody joined in with this. We climbed trees and threw sticks, I pushed over a large rotten silver birch tree. The snails were released, and we heard woodpeckers drumming. I collected litter in the snails' bucket and some polybags I found. (33 pieces of recyclable can/bottle type litter, plus lots of throw-away stuff) After all this activity we had an ice cream and borrowed some young adults' football and had a kick around. Most of the children had a fabulous time and we all enjoyed this place. What a pity Gill couldn't see it and join in.

After tea, I did a balloon show and workshop for the children which they mostly enjoyed and I was delighted to see how good some of them were at making a bird model! We got the sleeping arrangements organised sensibly and I had a much better night's sleep.

3 comments:

James said...

I started reading this blog you posted kimster76.blogspot.com but I noticed today that it has been removed!

Compostwoman said...

Sounds like a good day.

I spent a lot of the day in the garden, planting veg and digging out compost.

Also partaking in an easter egg choc fest!

But mainly planting, composting and sitting in the wood listening to bird song....a good day here too.

Cw

Compost John said...

OK James, thanks for the info, I'll remove it when I have time, and thanks Compostwoman (should be my other half methinks!) I'll add more detail to this blog post when I have time... I'm on a very limited time budget right now
J