Friday 6 July 2012

Tuesday 20th December 11

My first Pantomime!

David has been going to see pantomimes since he was a child, and he goes to see the York one every year. So this year he organised tickets to go with Carolyn and her grandchildren.

I was lucky enough to be asked to be his personal assistant.  Thus, I got to see my first panto!

It was 'The York Family Robinson'.  The plot was less important than the traditional content that pantomimes have built up.  Berwick Kaler is the regular 'pantomime dame', and this was his 33rd year. He also writes and directs.

I was unaware of all of the traditions beforehand... I knew the audience participation with answering back 'he's behind you' and the like, but not all of them.... which I looked up later in the day.

I did enjoy it, to some extent.  I liked the way it was made, and liked it that lots of people were having a really good time.  David enjoyed it, so that was the most important thing for me.

No comments: