Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Tuesday 11th August 09

Wedding today..... I like weddings! I met Rachel through a science festival that I worked at, with my Professor Fiddlesticks Fun Physics show, within the last 8 or 9 years, I cannot remember when it was exactly. She has a zest for life which I liked, and we became friends... and last year she met Tony, who lost his wife to cancer a few years ago, and seemed like really good husband material.

So, Rachel booked me to go and entertain today, at Repton near Derby. I got the 11.27 train down to Derby and then a short trip to Willington, just another 7 minutes on the train, then to a bus stop where I waited 15 minutes for the 1.30 bus. This took me the mile to Repton, where I easily found the Pears Hall where the reception was to take place.

I chatted to the Caretaker, who took me up to the Pears Hall where I chatted to the DJs, who showed me where the 'meet and greet' session would be, in a courtyard/cloister behind the hall.

I had a couple of hours to kill, because of the timings of the public transport, so I found a nice pub called The Boot which had a mug of coffee for me, and I read my NewScientist for 45 minutes.

I got changed back at Pears Hall and waited for the wedding party to arrive, and did some unicycling and devilsticking whilst the guests assembled for the group photo.

Then the pre-meal bit of the reception, and luckily there were some 'game' teenage girls who were happy to have a go with the devilsticks, juggling and yoyoballs... and some children who wanted (and got!) balloon models.

I ate with everybody else, a nice buffet and then, during the speeches, I kept the children amused with more balloons and assorted circus tricks.

I really enjoyed my role, and was very happy for Rachel that she had found a good man, and of course I was delighted for Tony as Rachel is gorgeous.

I got a lift back to Derby, and got the 9.11 train back to York, which got in at 11pm, a very easy journey. I collected about 7 glass beer bottles from my carriage and popped them into a plastic carrier bag and slipped them into my trailer so I could put them in the recycling when I got home.

A lovely work day, all done by public transport or lift-share, and I felt I contributed well to the event. And I got paid... how lucky am I?

No comments: