Monday 1 June 2009

Monday 1st June 09

Although I had a headache, I had a good day. I got ready so I could be at Bish St Kids at 10am to do a session about waste, recycling and composting. I took a bag of recyclable and non-recyclable items, several bags of compost and a couple of plastic tubs with assorted 'minibeasts' in, like worms, slugs, woodlice, centipedes, staphylinid beetles and the like. Also took the rotasieve, which is always enjoyed by children.

This gig was the second of two they'd booked with me, the first being a Fiddlesticks show/workshop and today's being a John the Rotter appearance. The activities were very non-structured... first did what stuff was made out of, and how it was recycled, and what happened if it wasn't recycled. We even covered what blood was made out of and how it clotted, and white blood cells! I had just steered it onto composting when it was midday and lunchtime, so we had a break, lunch out on the grass under a tree (well, I was!) and then we continued outside with more compost beasties and riddling. The riddled compost was put on the herb-bed and the apple tree, and I went to a few good websites on their computer and bookmarked them, so they can be used at a later date.

I was away by 1.15 and on the way home popped into Country Fresh for some not-so-fresh stuff, mostly not from this country... Home before 2, came in and flopped. However, Gill was doing the child-pick-up so I continued flopping until they all got in when my energy came back; I picked salads, did some washing up and got on with things.

A LETS meeting during the evening, with a new member!

No comments: