Saturday, 18 July 2009

Saturday 18th July 09

Work day today but didn't need to be in Barmby Moor until 1.30pm, to participate in the procession which precedes their historic 'Feast'.

So I got myself ready to cycle all the way down the A1079 lovely Hull Road to Barmby Moor, and left at 11.30... and I didn't stop and really pushed it, arriving at 12.20pm. There was an insecure door at the Village Hall so I let myself in, had lunch and got changed, and was ready to take my bike up to the show field by the time the marching band arrived to get changed.

As I arrived at the Barmby Moor Feast field, it started raining so I negotiated with my handler to get me a place in the bar marquee to do my show sometime during the afternoon.

But the rain stopped just in time for me to unicycle down to the Village Hall again where the procession was just starting off. I overtook a tractor-trailer float at the back and some yokel-locals thought it was funny to spray me with gunk... a kind of string-out-of-an-aerosol-can stuff and I was pretty annoyed. However, it did brush off and I picked it out of the spokes of my unicycle, then got to a position in the procession which seemed right for me. But I was behind some very slow-walking fancily-dressed kids and it was a challenge to unicycle so slowly. But I managed it, just! The procession wound up at the show field and it started raining again.

I went to the bar marquee and made a few balloon models until it stopped raining again and then I did a series of circuits of the field twirling my devilstick, and unicycling, but not at the same time as when I do that I often drop and I didn't want the sticks to get wet as they stop working when wet. But when I'm walking around devilsticking I rarely drop.

I did my show routine at 3pm and an hour of balloon models afterwards, got paid and set off home. I had the wind against me all the time and I had to stop and rest twice! This journey took me til 6.35, twice as long as the Eastward journey.

I got in, unloaded my stuff and went to bed and slept for two hours.

I had a small tea just after 9pm as I wasn't that hungry but Gill's quiche is very yummy. I hope there'll be some left tomorrow when I get in from Hull.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.