Monday 2 April 2018

Saturday 31st March 18, Richard Clare Memorial.

Another busy day, up at 9 and was working by 10 to put all the logs in one place, all the twigs in another, and to redistribute the compost heap and to reinstate the compost bin, this time on top of the pear stump, so it will have no chance at all of regrowing.  There is now ample space for the plum to be put in, and I think Daddy will help with that.

I wanted to get down to the Ponderosa by midday, so at quarter to, I packed everything into the panniers and rucksack and cycled down to the memorial for Richard Clare. He died 5 years ago, and is still fondly remembered for all his tree planting, seed swapping and assorted green activism and teaching.  His aunt and uncle came down from Aberdeen, Marion and Keith, I think, and Ed Smith was there with his girlfriend, and three other of Richard's friends. We talked together for about half an hour, didn't have any ceremony, but did have a seed swap, of sorts. I learned that Richard planted all the trees around this edge of the Ponderosa, getting funding and organising planting crews. Brilliant, what a thing to leave!

I got a train back to York and cycled round to see Kiri to arrange what she was going to do this weekend whilst Joy is in Manchester. We booked a bike ride on Sunday.

I was glad to get home and was pretty tired.

No comments: