Friday 17 March 2017

Wednesday 15th March 17

A fairly early start as I was due down at the 'Shambles Market' (which I knew as Newgate Market) in the middle of town for 10.30 with a medium sized load of compost, 5 sacks of about 20kg each. Bill from Edible York had asked me to deliver as he was setting up two planters there.

There were already several Edible York volunteers there and I worked with them to mix up my compost with mushroom compost and some sandy loam. In the planters we put two fan-trained cherry trees, up against a trellis, and some mint, bright lights chard, and a few strawberries.  Joy turned up and offered to buy some fixing ties from Barnitts, as a gift for Edible York, so I put those on, to help train and support the trees.

I then had to go to West Offices to the Treemendous meeting. After which I was happy to come home!

When I got home I was pleased to find that the nitrogen oxides measuring kit had been delivered. It consists of a tube which has a NOx absorber in, and over 2 weeks will tell what the average air pollution levels are in your area. Friends of the Earth are compiling a pollution map, so I'm happy to take part.  Maybe some of my friends will be too https://www.foe.co.uk/go/clean-air-kit 

I attended a Green Party meeting in the evening, which had a presentation from Richard from York Community Energy, and that was really interesting too!

No comments: